Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Organic Food in Backyard, Rooftop, and Balcony Gardens

Growing Organic Food Almost Anywhere

 
 
A month ago, as my cupboard was in danger of going bare,  I suddenly remembered "our" orange tree.  I live a 45-minute drive north of San Diego, California, in a city by the sea.  The development in which I have lived for many years is what California law calls a Planned Unit Development (PUD).  I own one-fourth of the "fourplex" where I reside.  However, together with all the other 120 owners in the community (there are 30 fourplexes), I own all the outside areas, the pool, tennis court, and all landscaped areas.
 

My Orange Tree

 
I suddenly recalled the spot, at the back of a walkway, rarely noticed by most residents, where a magnificent tree stands--heavily laden with oranges.  Why had I never noticed the tree, with its magnificent golden fruit?  Oh, why?  Why are we often so unobservant?  And it is my orange tree!  Just as it belongs to all my other residential neighbors, apparently just as unobservant as I!
 
Many times since I first made acquaintance with the tree, I've taken a pair of shears and gone orange picking, loading up a paper shopping bag with the makings of what has become delicious, almost seed-free orange juice for my breakfasts.
 
Admittedly, the oranges are not "organically certified."  The are, however, unquestionably "natural."  Although our landscaping crew sprays pesticides elsewhere, they have left the tall orange tree alone.
 

We Are Our Own Resource!

 
In my last posting, I spoke of how retailers--and all of us who seek organic food--want more, more variety, more certainty that what we eat is truly organic.  We tend to forget, however, that even we city dwellers can contribute to our organic needs by growing our own produce!
 
 
So-called Urban Agriculture is growing.  City dwellers are finding ways to raise food in unexpected ways and unexpected places.  And not just produce, sometimes animals!  City dwellers are cultivating food on their balconies, rooftops, and sometimes even in pots indoors, without even realizing that this cultivation is helping to "green" their cities, as well as boosting their own health. 
 

Join the Urban Farmers!

 
Learn how to grow your own.  Google such phrases as "Patio Gardening," "Rooftop Gardening," "Container Gardening," as well as "Organic Gardens," and kindred terms.  Learn from your findings.  If you can't find enough organic food where you live, consider raising your own.  Cities in some localities are even getting rid of restrictions on chicken raising and beehives within city limits.  If you're more into pets than produce, you might acquire chickens to provide you with your own eggs or a beehive to cultivate the bees and their honey that are more and more endangered.
 
But do look into what organic cultivation is all about.  I especially favor biodynamic cultivation (Look up "biodynamics").  The world needs more organic farmers and gardeners--especially those who understand and appreciate biodynamics!
 

We Are Our Own Resource!

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment