Four U.S. Lawmakers Support Over 200 Food Companies and Others With Letter Delivered to Obama
On January 16, 2014, with the support of four U.S. lawmakers, more than 200 food companies, organic farming groups, health and environmental organizations and other groups, in a letter addressed to U.S. President Obama, urged labeling of food products containing genetically engineered ingredients.
A Campaign Promise Reminder
The letter reminded Obama that as he campaigned in Iowa in 2007, he had promised to work toward labeling GMO foods.
Major Organizational Advocates
Organizations signing the letter included:
- Ben & Jerry's--the ice cream maker
- Nature's Path--the cereal maker
- Stonyfield Farms--maker of yogurt
- Consumer Federation of America
- Other environmental and health organizations
Four Democratic U.S. lawmakers held a press conference to endorse the call to Obama for mandatory labeling:
- U.S. Representative Peter DeFazio, Oregon
- U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro, Connecticut
- U.S. Representative Ann McLane Kuster, New Hampshire
- U.S. Representative Chellie Pingree, Maine
Hear the Call, President Obama!
Our Nation's Health!
* * *