New Survey Projects 14% growth
in Total U.S. Organic Food Market
Stephen Daniells, reporting for the online Food Navigator U.S.A. (January 3, 2014), using various sources, profiles a vibrant organic food market in the U.S.
Statistical Organic Food Profile
- Solid growth projected through 2018, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14%
- Western U.S. is driving much of organic food market revenues
- The push for GMO labeling will propel the organic market
- 81% of U.S. families purchase organic food, at least occasionally
- Between 2002 and 2011, domestic organic food production has increased 240% compared to 3% in non-organic production
- The U.S. organic food and beverage market in 2011 was at $29.2 billion with a projected growth rate at 9.4%, compared to the conventional food and beverage market growth projected in the low single digits
Organic "Power Shoppers"
- "True believers" in organic food and "environmentalists"--the two leading purchasing segments--make up 46% of all natural/organic product sales
- These two "power shopper" groups together comprise 18% of consumers